Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Odds N Ends

Time for a new post, I suppose.
I've been sick - something viral, then sinus infection-y. But no matter, I took a half-day away from my manual labor duties, OD'd on zinc, garlic, vit C, etc. And seem to be on the mend. Quicker recovery, I'm predicting, than ever before for me! And even despite my illness, I've been Ms. Perky McPerkPerk. I don't know WHAT's come over me!

It could be all the fresh air and sunshine/daylight I'm getting. It could be all the yummy, wholesome food I'm getting (without having to lift a finger to make it!). It could be all the interesting people I'm meeting, interesting interactions, interesting stories and lives I'm being told of. It could simply be endorphins from walking everywhere (up hills!) and doing pretty strenuous manual labor every day.

It's certainly NOT my decrepit room in which there is no rhyme or reason, or organization YET. It's certainly NOT the fact that I do very much miss being able to visit my neices and nephews whenever I want. It's certainly NOT the fact that I don't have my kitty-cat waking me up with sandpaper-tongue 'kisses' on my nose in the morning.

But I tell you: it's great. I've been really happy -- sort of like a creep-up-on-you-and-before-you-know-it-you're-smiling-and-generally-happy happiness. No big epiphany or anything. I just dig it. Sure, some things suck, but those things don't seem to matter right now. And sure, I know it's not gonna be all peaches and cream while I'm here for SEVEN months... but still I'm excited for it all to happen. To come as it comes. To bring with it what it will.

Last night, not only in an effort to "sweat out" my sickness, but because I generally love these things, I went to the sauna. It was lovely. Apparently, it's "clothing optional" as they say. Of course for me, personally, it's clothing-mandatory! I mean, if I had a freakin' bathing suit from the 1920's, with bloomers and a bonnet, I'd wear it! But regardless my experience in the sauna was lovely. I had it to myself mostly. It was JUST as I was leaving that all the nudie staffers seemed to start to arrive. Of course all the people who do yoga every day, and such. If I had their bodies, I too might be more prone to go sauna in the nude.

And tonight, after dinner, I went to the newly opened-for-business Art Hut. It's a strictly-staff-only place to just go and Create... Just make stuff, paint, draw, sew, etc... I made a cool person out of wire... had so much fun with it and consider it a work in progress... he needs a head, for example... but I really like him! And this Art Hut thing is so totally RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! It's full of Found-Objects and junque and whatever you want... plus space to work! It's better than therapy, I'd have to say!

So there's yet another cool perk of working here.

Oh, and FYI, the free workshop I got into (as a fulltime seasonal staffer, we get to take a workshop free, but only what's available, has space, and what fits with our work schedule) -- I'm more than a little trepidatious about it -- is called LifeForce Yoga: Yoga for Managing Mood. It happens in July, so I guess I'd better get into the Yoga swing of things before then!

OK, I'm tired and drowsy and needing my sleep. Check back later for more tales from the big O!

No comments: