Sunday, June 29, 2008

Time time time, See what's become of me...

I can't believe how long it's been since I've written on here. Time here is a wacky thing. Day's blur together. I rarely know what day of the week it is -- unless, of course, it's a weekday with a T in it, which means it's Dessert Night at the dining hall (yes, Tuesday, Thursday, and SaTurday)!

But even so, things are ever-changing. For example, we've reached the end of the first "work period" (usually 8 weeks long, I think) which means the bounty of part-time staffers whom we've gotten to know and love (or tolerate, in some cases) are getting ready to leave (today or tomorrow) and the new "batch" of part-timers (and even some new so-called "full-timers") are coming in. This means a whole new vibe, a whole new dynamic happens on campus. It also means everyone needs to be trained for their jobs all over again.

I've met some wonderful people who happened to have been part-timers. So I'm definitely glad they all came, all agreed to live in tents for 8 or so weeks and work for free. (Yep, that's a part-timer's life.) Now, off they go, back into the so-called "real world". One of my friends is going to grad school nearby in New Paltz. A few of my friends have actually found slightly more long-lasting employ (again, probably for free) here on campus - Yay! A few are going back to their respective homes to hang out until they go back to their undergraduate careers at college. Some are going somewhere to finally make some money with an actually-paying job. But ALL of them had an impact on all of us. We were and are a community. That's what's so great about this place: Everyone HAS their own "place" here.

Another thing that's happening - to me, at least - is that I got Promoted to Asst. Mgr. of Housekeeping! Woo hoo! I know I came here to sort of "get away" from my typical working world, to release some of my responsibilities in order to concentrate on some other things for myself, etc. BUT what I'm realizing is that it's just my natural tendency to sort of possess an air of -I don't like this word but I can't think of a better one- authority. I can't tell you the number of people I've met here who, after a few days or weeks, ask me how many years I've been at Omega or ask me how I became manager so early on (which I wasn't - not here anyway!). So, it's something I'm learning about myself and trying not to be horrified by -- trying to embrace it. It just is. It's me. I see things and I want to make them more efficient and I want to make sure they're done right/well. I've been called bossy in my life - while growing up or whatever - but that has a really negative connotation to it. I'd like to think that - at least by Now - I've learned NOT to be BOSSY per se... just to be efficient and hopefully helpful and hopefully somewhat of a good trainer. I mean, is that so wrong?

So, let's see: It's the end of June. I can hardly believe it. Where has the time gone?! I look at pictures from my early days here - when the weather was cold - and I can't believe it. I must admit that I'm beginning to fear the speed at which October will arrive. Of course I wonder what will I do then? Where will I go? How will I make a living for myself?

But then I stop myself and remember to have faith/trust that it will all work itself out. I am HERE NOW.
Just "be here now."

No comments: